Monday, June 7, 2021

Marrying Within the Tribe - A Precedent for Verse Reinterpretation?

The plan was to discuss next whether or not it is halachically possible to have an act be permissible in one context and prohibited in another. I will get to that discussion. However, a reader of this blog, Rafi Ganz, sent me a copy of his article on the topic of marrying within the tribe. I owe him a great debt of gratitude for bringing these sources to my attention. Please check out his blog where he recently posted his thoughts, which I draw upon extensively in this post. 

In the previous post I described in detail what I am trying to accomplish. I explored two potential precedents for reinterpreting a verse and changing the accepted Halacha. The prohibition against marrying a Moabite, and the exclusion of gentiles from many categories in Halacha.

My conclusion was, that if the appropriate criteria are met (as I described in detail), a verse can be reinterpreted even when it has practical Halachic ramifications and remain within the accepted boundaries of Orthodoxy. Thanks to Rafi, I now have a third precedent.

Tribal Intermarriage

In the story of the daughters of Zelaphechad, the law is established granting women the right to inherit property if there are no male siblings. A faction of the members of the Tribe of Menashe were concerned that their tribe could potentially lose property to another tribe should such a woman marry a male member of another tribe.  In response to their concern, Moshe instructed:

2 comments:

  1. I don't really understand the point of this post. It's easy enough to show that a Sanhedrin using proper drasha-technique can innovate laws. This is just one more pre-talmudic example.

    You should be focusing on the two hidden claims made when thinking to apply this to the humiliative homosexual sex argument: 1) The proposed read of the verses utilizes a proper drasha-technique, and 2) the bizarre reads of the Talmud proffered by you (him?) qualify as meaningful non-contradiction to allow this to be applied post-talmudicly. To explicate:

    1) I don't know what drasha techniques are valid or not so I don't really know how you'd prove this, but surely designating a word as extraneous (despite the Talmud's using it elsewhere already) and then attaching any meaning you want to it is of questionable efficacy. Is that really what we imagine the Sanhedrin did all day? Found as many extra words as possible, made up lists of laws they wanted to derive, and drew a bijection?

    2) Your only precedent here is allegedly the Meiri (the details of which I'm not getting into here) but we must ask does the binding acceptance of the Talmud require a maximalist standard of non-contradiction or a minimalist standard? Must we really believe our claim that Chazal would have agreed with us and just their language never needed to reflect it (as one might plausibly argue about 'peaceful' gentiles) or is it enough to give any possible explanation of the actual text that isn't literally contradictory, no matter how forced? The latter is non-contradictory only in an extremely minimalist sense, one which almost goes against any spirit of the law a binding acceptance of the talmud's authority would seem to mandate. As we know (Sanhedrin 17a) a great scholar could even purify a weasel without literally contradicting anything, so of what value is such a non-contradiction really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have followed your blog for msny years, given the zeitgeist I reviewed your extensive learning on abortion, a topic I thought I knew well till I read your many entries
    I was wondering what you are working on now, and if you have any additional sources/insights into abortion and Halacha

    ReplyDelete